Updated: Mar 10, 2019
"You should sit in meditation for 20 mins a day, unless you're too busy; then you should sit for an hour." - Old Zen Saying
Meditation is not about trying to stop your thoughts, in fact it is an opportunity to listen to your thoughts. With regular practice of meditation, the thoughts will get fewer and fewer until you find that you can achieve a relaxed but yet aware state of being.
We have over 50,000 thoughts every day and meditation is a way of entering into the quiet that is underneath these thoughts. Many thoughts you have every day are repeated over and over. With meditation we learn what those thoughts have to say and though meditation we find awareness, through awareness we can then create change.
Meditation has many health benefits and is known to help with many illnesses including anxiety, stress, depression. Meditation can improve sleep and focus, assists in weight management, reduces tension and headaches and helps to lower blood pressure. These are only just a few of the many health benefits.
How to Meditate
Steps for Meditation:
- Find a quiet place and either sit or lie down
- Place on some relaxing music
- Close your eyes
- Begin by just focusing on your breath, you can follow the breath coming in and out of the body, you can use a counting system to follow the breath. For example, breath in for the count of 3 and breath out for the count of 3.
- After some time you may notice your thoughts and that you have lost your awareness on the breath, that is when you become the watcher of your thoughts and bring yourself back to the breath.
- By just starting with 5-10 mins every day, this can have some profound benefits
Meditation is a practice that can bring balance and reduce stress - amazing things can take place - you can learn a lot about yourself!
At Elements Mind Body Studio we have meditation classes that can assist you in starting your meditation practice.
Classes are on Monday's and Friday's at 1.15 pm and Friday evenings at 6.30 pm - Casual visits are $12